Modifying Your House Plan
Often a future homeowner finds what they think is the perfect house plan for them. After carefully reviewing the home plan and looking at it in detail, it may be necessary to make some changes so the finished home better suits specific needs. We offer a modification service that will work with you to incorporate your desired modifications into the blueprints. This gives you a cost-efficient way to create your dream home. Typically, our home plan modification team can make the necessary changes for you.
Some of the most common home plan modifications are listed below:
- Changing a foundation type (i.e. slab to crawl space)
- Modifying exterior elevations such as changing the façade from siding to brick, adding dormers, etc.
- Adding a garage to a home without
- Changing the location of a garage door (i.e. side to front)
- Adding square footage
- Moving basement stairs
- Adding or removing a fireplace
- Converting 2x4 exterior walls to 2x6 exterior walls
- Redesigning a kitchen
- Making modifications for handicap accessibility
- Adding a bonus room in the attic or over the garage
- Reversing a home plan (mirror reverse or right reading reverse)
Some commonly requested changes that we cannot provide are listed below.
- Adapting or engineering the house plan to meet local codes
- Creating a new house plan from two different house plans (due to copyright laws)
Please follow these easy steps to modify your house plan:
- Decide what changes you want to make to your house plan.
- Complete and submit the modification request form to receive a free quote. Be as specific as possible when describing your changes. If the floor plan refers to the "breakfast nook", use "breakfast nook" in your description of changes. Provide detailed descriptions of your changes as if you are looking at the home plan from the front of the house. Use key words such as, "to the left", "towards the back", and "on the second floor". Provide dimensions or measurements when available and include a labeled sketch if possible. When referring to measurements running right to left on the home plan use "width." Use "depth" when referring to measurements running front to back.
- You will receive an emailed quote for your modifications within a couple of business days. The quote will list the cost for your specified modifications, the cost for the reproducible master, PDF or CAD file needed to legally change the original copyrighted house plan, and shipping fees when applicable.
- Follow the instructions provided in your emailed quote to place your order for the reproducible master, PDF or CAD file, arrange payment for your modifications and move forward with your desired changes.
- Approve the preliminary drawings/sketches of your specified changes provided by the modification team. NOTE: Any extra modifications requested after your original changes have been submitted will incur additional charges.
- After receiving your approval of the preliminary drawings, the modification team will make your changes to the blueprints. The modified house plans will be shipped or emailed directly to you upon completion.
Other important information:
- Plans are drawn to meet national building codes. Our modification team cannot draw the plans to meet any specific building codes. We do not guarantee that the revisions will meet your local building codes. It is recommended that you hire a local engineer/architect review the plans to ensure they comply with your city, county, or state building codes.
- Time and cost estimates are good for 30 days.
- All modification requests must be submitted in writing. Verbal requests are not accepted and will not be quoted. Note: When filling out the modification request form, please type or write dark and legibly if you plan to submit it via fax so it can be read after the form is faxed. Be sure to include all available contact information.
For FAST service, please follow these two easy steps.
- Download the modification request form.
- E-mail the completed form to email@example.com or fax it to 314-439-5328.
This article brought to you by The HousePlanShop, LLC, the home of the best selling house plans from the best designers!