Aug 18 2010
When building a new house, there are many decisions to make regarding the look and functionality of your home inside and out. One choice you’ll be faced with is selecting the type of garage door you prefer. Garage doors come in various materials including aluminum, steel, vinyl and wood. Wooden garage doors have been around since garages have become part of a family home. They remain a popular choice in today’s market due to durability, longevity, technical aspects and visual appeal. The House Plan Shop has provided a list of the advantages and disadvantages of wooden garage doors to help you decide if they are the right choice for you.
· They are custom built to meet the home owner’s specifications and preferences.
· These doors can be built to fit any size or shape garage.
· They can be created or adjusted to accommodate non-level garage floors.
· Their custom-built nature ensures your garage doors will have a unique look.
· Wood garage doors nicely complement homes with an exterior finish of natural materials such as cedar shingles, wood board siding, logs or stone.
· They do not crack or dent like vinyl, aluminum and steel doors.
· Wood is a renewable resource; therefore wood garage doors are earth-friendly.
· Natural material treatments are available to increase the longevity of the garage door by protecting against bending, distorting and rotting.
· Damaged garage doors can be replaced easily by repairing the damaged portion or panel rather than replacing the entire garage door.
· They can be operated manually or automatically like garage doors made of other materials.
· Wood is a natural sound barrier and cuts down on noise pollution better than other garage door materials in noisy neighborhoods and along busy streets.
· Wood can withstand drastic temperature changes and serves as an insulator against heat and cold.
· These garage doors can easily be repainted in the future giving them a whole new look.
· They are more costly to build than their manufactured competitors.
· Wood garage door manufactures are hard to come by.
· Due to their custom-built nature, wood garage doors must be custom ordered. They require building time and therefore are not readily available in lumberyards and home improvement stores like their manufactured competitors.
· Wood garage doors are heavy requiring a properly sized garage door opener and springs to move the weight of the door.
· Regular maintenance is necessary to prevent rotting and other damage.
The House Plan Shop recommends taking some time to consider the advantages and disadvantages of wooden garage doors as well as other pre-manufactured doors ensuring you choose the garage doors that are right for your new home.
2 responses so far