May 22 2012
If you are thinking about putting your house on the market, it is important that you go the extra mile when preparing your house to sell. Your extra efforts up front will increase the positive feedback you receive from potential buyers and hopefully grab the attention of the right buyer. Follow these tips when getting ready to sell your home:
- Cut the clutter. File/organize bills and important documents in a file cabinet where they are easy find, yet hidden from site. Recycle old newspapers and donate old magazines to a nursing home or doctor’s office. Reduce collections and knick-knacks. While these items might be meaningful to you, they are often seen as clutter by a potential buyer. Display just a few sentimental items or a few pieces from your favorite collection and pack the rest. Also, limit the number of photos you display. Photos of the people who currently live in the home may turn off potential buyers as they formulate an opinion about the type of people who currently live in the home. Display just a few family photos and tuck the rest away until you move into your new home. Clear kitchen and bath counters. Open counters provide a more spacious appearance.
- Thoroughly clean the interior. Clean all surfaces including windows and mirrors. Dust and vacuum regularly. Be sure to make all the beds before you leave each day. Make sure there are no dirty dishes on the table or counter or in the sink. Pick up shoes and backpacks that may be lying in the foyer or mud room. Each time you leave your home, be sure to leave it spotless. You never know when the real estate agent will want to show your home to a potential buyer.
- Clean out the garage and basement. Many people use the garage and basement for storage, but the site of stacked boxes lining the walls of either space will make both seem small and cramped. Move boxes to the attic or rent a storage locker until your home sells.
- Update interior and exterior paint. A fresh coat of paint is a quick way to give your home a fresh look. Be sure to stick with neutral colors.
- Tidy up the exterior. Clean up your yard. Mow the grass regularly and dispose of grass clipping and leaves. Pull any weeds in the garden or flower bed. Add fresh mulch to your landscaping. Sweep the driveway, sidewalks, porches and decks regularly. You might even consider power washing decks and sidewalks. Also, clean your siding. Scrubbing with a diluted bleach solution is an easy way to clean siding.
Begin be following these tips and you’ll be on your way to getting your house ready to sell. You might also check with your real estate agent for additional tips on preparing to sell your home.