Jul 07 2011
Country house plans are designed to deliver an informal and relaxed way of life. At first glance, it is easy to see a country home plan and think of a rural lifestyle. And with some country homes, we may be reminded us of days gone past due to their old-fashioned farmhouse styling reminiscent of yesteryear. But, most present day country home designs are far from it! In fact, these designs incorporate many of today’s most up-to-date floor plan features and amenities suiting the needs of modern families.
Country house plans are available in a broad range of shapes and sizes. They can range from a cozy country cottage, offering just the basics, to a sprawling luxury estate filled with state-of-the-art appointments. In addition, they can offer a one-story or two-story floor plan. Some even provide additional living square footage when built on a finished basement.
Country house designs are one of North America’s most popular architectural styles. So what makes them so special? Below is a list of some of the typically, noteworthy characteristics of these highly sought-after homes:
- Work well in a suburban setting or along a quiet county road
- Have a simplistic nature and deliver functionality, practicality and comfort
- Designed to appear much larger than they actually are
- Exterior is warm and inviting
- Recognizable exterior features include a gable roofline running parallel to the road, covered porches, wrap-around porches, shuttered windows and dormers
- Floor plans take advantage of covered porches extending the living areas outdoors
- Have large and spacious gathering areas such as a county kitchen or open floor plan
- Living areas flow together providing flexible space to accommodate a variety of activities
- A fireplace anchors the living areas adding a cozy feel
- Bedrooms are clustered together and separated from the living areas or are positioned on the second floor for privacy
In many instances, country styling is blended with other architectural styles such as European, Southern and Craftsman. And let’s not forget the country house plan’s more elegant cousin, the Victorian design which features many country characteristics and is complemented with ornate details and trim. So if you’re looking for relaxed living in a pure country design or a blended style such as Country French, you’re sure to find the right home plan in The House Plan Shop’s extensive county house plan collection that will deliver the comfortable and practical family living you are looking for.