Building a carriage house plan is a practical home addition, and they are becoming more and more popular given the conditions of the present economy. Discover some of the top reasons Americans are building carriage houses.
- Families are outgrowing their homes and need more living space.
- Families need more parking space, especially those with up teenage drivers.
- Growing families do not have the finances to upgrade to a lager home or build a brand new home, but can afford a smaller construction project that will provide much needed living area.
- Families love their neighborhoods and don’t want to move but need extra room.
- The family handyman needs a workshop.
- Some homeowners need extra storage space for basement and attic overflow or large and bulky items.
- Homeowner’s desire a guest suite that provides all the comforts and privacy of home for frequent weekend visitors.
- Some homeowner’s need a place for aging relatives to have the privacy of their own home with the opportunity to seek immediate assistance if necessary.
- The work-at-home parent desires a home office that provides peace and quiet and the ability to visit with clients without disturbing the rest of the home.
- Home-based business owners want a private place to work and meet with clients without actually leaving home.
- Parents need additional housing for college students who require privacy and independence, but still need parental guidance from time to time.
- Homeowners want to add a craft area, hobby room, music room or exercise area, but don’t have a basement or enough room in the basement to add one.
- Grandparents are looking for a place for grandkids to stay when visiting for the holidays without having to listen to loud music or be disturbed when the grandkids come home in the wee hours of the morning.
- Parents are looking for a place for boomerang children to stay until they get back on their feet.
- Families may need living quarters for the nanny.
- Owners of large estates may wish to provide living quarters for the maid, groundskeeper, etc.
- Families need room to relax and often use the apartment for a playroom, home theater or game room for everyone to enjoy. They may even use it for an entertainment space for guests.
- Growing families are looking for an additional source of income and rent the living quarters to tenants.
- Garage apartments make nice temporary living quarters while the main home is being constructed and easily convert to a guest house when it is time to move into the main home.
- Outdoor adventurists, nature enthusiasts, hunters and fishermen may not build a garage apartment in the backyard at all, but rather near their favorite lake or in the woods using it as an alternative to a vacation home, weekend retreat or hunting and fishing cabin.
If you are interested in viewing carriage house floor plans, take some time to browse The House Plan Shop’s extensive collection of designs from North America’s top rated designers.
For many planning to build a garage, there is a growing trend with carriage house plans. These compact floor plans contribute additional functionality to the ordinary garage plan in that they offer a fully functional living area in conjunction with the garage. The finished living quarters can either be on the same floor as the garage or positioned above the garage creating an upper level. Carriage house plans cover a broad range when the living area is considered starting with a studio apartment and stretching to a two or three bedroom design. These floor plans include at least one full bath and a modest kitchen in most cases. Some designs include thoughtful extras such as an eating bar, walk-in closet or a laundry closet. So, why are carriage house plans becoming a popular choice when it comes to building a new garage? The list below addresses some of the reasons why buyers and builder make them their top choice.
- Added Value – Now only does a carriage house contribute street appeal and functionality to your existing home, but they also add value to your residence. Furthermore, it is easy to find a design to complement your home while adding usable space.
- Extra Income – Many home owners build a garage for additional parking and storage space. If you’re going through the trouble to build the garage, you might as well make money too. Home owners are opting to use garage space for personal needs while renting out the living quarters for additional income. Carriage house plans with a private entrance or exterior stairs leading to the living quarters are especially popular for this possibility.
- In-Law or Guest Suite – Everyone enjoys out-of-town guests, overnight visitors and short visits from friends and family members. Your kids may especially like long weekend visits from Grandma and Grandpa. With a carriage house plan, your guests will have the privacy and comfort of home while staying with you.
- Home Office – For those who run a home-based business, a carriage house is the ideal solution to office needs. The living area can easily serve as an office or meeting room providing a space to work or meet with clients without disturbing the main home. Furthermore, if offers peace and quiet, essential for productivity without ever leaving home.
- Flexible Space – Sometimes, as families grow and change, they need a flexible space to change with the many phases of their lives. A carriage house design with an open floor plan allows for this flexibility. Perhaps it can serve as a play area when the kids are small and transform into a recreation room or home theater when they are teenagers providing a place for them to hang out with friends. When they’ve grown and moved away, convert the space into an activity room or meeting area where you can meet with your gardening club or play cards with your friends. The kitchenette and bathroom will be handy no matter what the phase of life.
- Work Space – Hobby enthusiasts often benefit from carriage house plans. The living quarters are perfect for use as a hobby room, craft area, etc. Use the living area as a workspace for all your projects. The plus side to this option is that you won’t have to clear the dining room table before every meal. And if that’s not enough, the bedroom and bath will still be available for overnight visitors in most cases.
- Secondary Residence/Weekend Retreat – For the people who like to get away from it all, carriage house plans are an economical and practical solution. They are a great alternative to vacation house plans. Whether built on a wooded lot or a in a cozy neighborhood, carriage house plans deliver storage and comfortable living. Use the garage to store your outdoor sporting essentials from a boat or ATV to bikes or hunting gear. The living quarters will provide a comfortable place to kick back and relax after a day of fun on the lake, hiking or exploring town. Some carriage house plans are designed with multiple bedrooms offering room to bring friends, family or the kids along for the weekend.
If you are considering building a new garage, take time to think about the additional value and possibilities of choosing a carriage house plan.
Well suited for a sloping lot, or rugged terrain, this Arts and Crafts styled carriage house plan tucks neatly into any hillside. The exterior displays stylish details like sturdy porch columns atop stone pedestals. The living quarters are situated on the main level with an 880 square foot, side-entry, drive-under garage positioned on the lower level. You’ll appreciate the extra deep bays of the two car garage, ideal for parking oversized vehicles or storing a boat. Two overhead doors and a service entry provide convenience. Now take a look at the living space. Exterior stairs connect to the studio apartment from the lower level or you can enter on the main floor from the covered front porch. Inside, the efficient kitchen connects with the living area creating an open and flexible floor plan. A full bath contributes to functionality. Special features include a prep-island, dual storage/coat closets at the entry, vaulted ceilings and large, sunny windows filling the space with natural light. The perfect office for a home-based business, an entertainment space for special occasions or private living quarters for the nanny or weekend guests, this unique carriage house plan is a wonderful addition to any Craftsman home.
If you are looking for a unique carriage house plan with Victorian charm, this is the one for you. Begin with its elegant styling and ornate details boasting stunning street appeal. Handsome porch columns and shuttered windows are just a few of the details dressing up this carriage house plan. The Victorian architecture is quite uncommon for a detached garage, but extraordinary nonetheless. Another interesting feature about this garage design is its 5-car garage offering 1215 square feet of usable parking space. Two tandem bays paired with a single-car bay makes this one a stand-out floor plan among all the rest. Though an unusual arrangement, the garage easily handles five family vehicles or a pair of oversized vehicles and a smaller one. Furthermore, the tandem bays are deep enough to accommodate boat storage and you may wish to convert the single bay to a workshop or storage space. Beyond the covered front porch, interior stairs ascend to the upper level where you’ll discover more unusual features. Natural light spills through two bayed windows filling the game/living room with cheerful sunshine. A fireplace adds a cozy touch. With the step-saver kitchen overlooking the gathering space, this area easily becomes an entertainment space for friends and family where you can serve snacks and drinks. Or, it becomes an efficiency apartment just right for guests, the in-laws, your college student or even rental property. A bedroom and full bath compete the living quarters. You will appreciate the attic storage, ideal for holiday and seasonal items. Fashioned with function, flexibility and style, you will love having this unique carriage house plan situated in your backyard behind your Victorian style home.
As tough economic times continue, many families are being forced to combine households due to job loss and/or foreclosure. Children are moving back home to mom’s place with the grandkids in tow. The jobless market means college graduates are moving back home too. Grandparents are moving in with grandchildren. And the list goes on.
Recently, The GaragePlanShop, LLC, a subsidiary of The HousePlanShop, LLC, was featured in the news. With so many changes in living situations for a wide variety of people and uncertain economic conditions, both of these ecommerce companies have witnessed a growing interest in garage apartment plans and carriage house plans respectively. These modest, yet comfortable living quarters are proving to be a positive solution for those who are running out of room in their homes for relatives who need a place to live.
Carriage houses and garage apartments are very accommodating offering comfortable living quarters in an affordable package. Furthermore they are a great addition to any home adding value to the property. Not only will you be providing temporary housing for family members now, but you’ll reap the benefits of having extra garage space to use any way you wish. Consider extra car storage, boat storage or a workshop. When the economy moves in a positive direction and everyone is able to have a place of their own again, you’ll be left with a wonderful finished space with can easily serve as a guest suite, studio, office for a home based business, rental property or whatever you desire. One thing is certain, these popular carriage houses and garage apartments deliver a win-win situation for everyone.