Sep 21 2011
Have you found yourself asking, “I want to build my dream home, but where do I start?” If so, you’ve come to the right place. There is a wide range of resources available to help you get started on your home building project. Most of these resources are easy-to-access and will offer insight and knowledge about the construction project you are about to tackle. Below are just a few of the house building resources available to you.
- Talk to family members and friends who have built a home or completed another residential construction project such as building a garage. These people will speak from experience and have a wealth of knowledge to share. Ask them what worked, what didn’t go so well, what that would have planned better and what things they would do differently if they were to build again.
- Spend some time talking to professionals at local lumberyards. These people are especially knowledgeable about building materials.
- Take time to check with your local building department or building inspector. Find out what is required in your city, town or municipality for new home construction. Ask about building permits, building codes and other regulations you’ll be expected to follow.
- Contact local building professionals that have experience with residential construction and ask lots of questions. Some of these people include builders, contractors, residential designers, carpenters, electricians and other various professionals.
- If you need to get a loan, check with various mortgage lenders. Find out what steps you need to take to qualify for a loan and what the lender expects throughout the lifetime of the construction loan.
- Use the Internet. There are all sorts of construction and building websites that offer a wealth of information about the building process from beginning to end.
- Don’t forget about The House Plan Shop! We have an extensive resources page with many articles and tips to help you through the home building process. Also, you can follow us on Twitter and check out our Facebook page for current postings about building a house, residential construction, green building and other related information.