Sometimes when homeowners decide to build a new house, they question the importance of buying house plans. Some may think it is an unnecessary expense in the building process and may try to work from the basic floor plans shown in home plan books and on house plan websites instead. However, the truth of the matter is pre-drawn house plans are a vital part of the home construction process. It is important and necessary to purchase blueprints before construction begins. Below is a list of reasons why a new homeowner should purchase pre-drawn house plans when building a new home.
· Buying blueprints gives the homeowner permission from the designer to build the designer’s original, copyrighted plan without breaking any copyright laws. It grants the homeowner legal permission to build the home.
· A set of home plans is the most complete resource you and the builder will have for the entire house building project.
· House plans outline the design you are building before construction begins providing an overall concept of the entire building project.
· The blueprints will clearly illustrate what the homeowner expects the finished house to look like when construction is complete.
· Blueprints are a useful tool in preparing your site or lot, planning the interior space, creating a building schedule with the builder and setting a budget.
· House plans outline the home’s complete structure from the foundation and wall framing to the roof framing and interior layout.
· Home plan blueprints map boundaries for every room, indicate the square footage of the home and depict major elements on the floor plan such as bathtubs, sinks, the kitchen island and stairs to the upper or lower level.
· Blueprints depict changes in elevations. For instance, within the home they will show a staircase to the second floor. The exterior elevations depict how the home will sit on the lot in relation to the grade of the land such as a home with a walkout basement or drive-under garage.
· Floor plans provide a “map” and call attention to consideration for any special elements such as a garage, patio, deck, or interior features like a fireplace or built-in media center.
· Special features that require additional work such as a stone fireplace or an intricate handrail will be contained in the blueprint.
· Because stock house plan designers create house floor plans with many of today’s most requested features in mind, they are a smart and less expensive alternative to drawing a home plan from scratch. These plans provide most of the features you are looking for at a fraction of the cost.
· Various pre-drawn blueprint packages (CAD files and reproducible masters) come with a copyright release allowing the homeowner to work with a professional designer to make changes/customize to the original copyrighted plan, further accommodating specific needs.
If you are considering building a new home, take some time to review the importance of purchasing house plans. For further information about buying house plans and blueprints, take some time to review all the helpful information in The House Plan Shop’s resource section.