Jan 27 2010
While being a work-at-home professional can be rewarding, sometimes it can be hard to settle in and start working. Without others around you to share ideas, it may be difficult at times to come up with fresh thoughts and notions. And face it, some days we all lack motivation. So, what can you do to ensure you are always productive while working at home? Create an office that you love – one that promotes positive thinking, ingenuity, productivity and a little fun. The tips below will help your decorate and arrange your office in a way that you will feel motivated, creative and fruitful.
· Create a short list of professional goals (two or three) and review it often. Remind yourself often that you WANT to achieve these goals. Keep it in your desk or hang it on the wall where you can see it.
· Surround your desk with things that inspire you from a favorite quote to a recent project that was a huge success.
· Bring the room to life by adding a potted plant or vase of flowers to the room.
· Open the curtains and let the sunshine fill the room.
· Invest in various organizational bins, baskets and tubs and make a point to keep your files, supplies and other items organized.
· Add a personal touch. Place a framed family photo on your desk or add an object that was given to you by someone special such as a pretty vase or a handmade pillow.
· Simulate your senses with rich color and texture. Use colored file folders instead of the typical manila folders. Include a few wicker baskets and wooden crates instead of using all the typical plastic storage bins and tubs. Consider a wooden desk and a comfortable chair covered in your favorite color fabric.
· Include something with sparkle or shine such as hanging a mirror on the wall or using chrome drawer pulls on your desk.
· Have fun with a funky patterned lamp shade or area rug.
· Keep the tools and supplies you use the most close at hand. If you are a writer, keep the thesaurus you grandmother gave you on your desk. If you are an artist keep a sketch book and your favorite pencil nearby.
Remember this is your office. It must suit your needs and stimulate productivity delivering positive results at the end of the day.
No responses yet