Rooted in the Arts and Crafts movement, Craftsman house plans have been popular for generations. While they are available in a vast range of sizes and can be one or two levels, these home designs are sought after for their sturdy construction and easy living floor plans. Craftsman house plans appeal to a wide variety of home buyers and display unmistakable characteristics that can be recognized both from the exterior and interior of the home. Below is a list of some of the easily identifiable characteristics you’ll find with Craftsman home plans:
- Multi-material façade (a combination of local natural materials such as stone, brick, siding, and cedar shakes)
- Wide and deep front porch
- Flared, tapered or square porch columns atop stone pediments/pedestals
- Low-pitched roof
- Wide, overhanging eaves
- Exposed beams, rafters or rafter tails
- Triangular brackets in the eaves
- Shed dormers
- Decorative details
- Rustic styling
- Appearance of handcrafted workmanship
- Open floor plan with few hallways
- Make use of every square inch of living space
- Built-in shelving, cabinets, and seating
- Extensive use of dark wood and wood moldings and trim
- Extensive use of windows
- Some windows of stained or leaded glass
- Beamed ceilings
- Stone fireplace and chimney
- Use local, natural materials
While Craftsman home plans can be as small as a cottage or an impressive luxury home, they all display as least some of the features characteristics mentioned above. They are closely related to Northwestern style designs and bungalows. Browse our collection of Craftsman house plans now.
Affordable house plans are designed to satisfy the needs of a broad range of homebuyers. They are available in almost any architectural style from traditional to contemporary. They can be one or two stories or may consist of the main level and a finished basement. A variety of foundations are available with these floor plans as well, making it easy to accommodate various lot requirements. Affordable house plans can offer one or more bedrooms and baths. Depending on the arrangement of the floor plan, they are well suited for starter homes, empty-nesters and vacation homes. The affordable house plan collection presented by The House Plan Shop features homes that typically offer less than 1800 square feet of finished living space.
Because affordable house plans are typically small in nature, they generally feature compact and practical floor plans designed to deliver comfortable living without sacrificing functionality. Their space-saver floor plans are carefully created to meet tight budgets while still offering many of today’s most requested, functional features, such as a kitchen snack bar and an attached garage. They make the most use of every inch of living space. Additionally, since these economical house designs are slight in stature they require less building materials, therefore making them affordable to build.
Affordable house plans are closely related to other cost-efficient home plan collections such as narrow lot house plans and bungalows.
The small house plans offered by The House Plan Shop are typically less than 1800 square feet in size. They are popular among builders and homeowners for many reasons. Below is a list of some of the reasons why many of our customers opt to build small home plans:
- Usually simple in design
- Offer a compact, space-saver floor plan that makes the most of every inch of space
- Floor plan includes practical and efficient features
- Can be one or two levels, or one level with a finished basement
- Available in almost any architectural style
- Designed with style while keeping comfort and affordability in mind
- Most are budget-friendly and designed to meet tight budgets
- Floor plans can offer from one to four bedrooms and baths
- Require less building materials than larger home and are therefore affordable to build
- Deliver functional living space and include popular features like kitchen islands and main floor laundry rooms
- Available with a variety of foundation types to accommodate different lot requirements
- Can be used as a starter home, family home, an empty-nester or retirement home, or a vacation house
Because of their compact nature, most small house plans are closely related to cabins and cottages, vacation homes and even narrow lot house plans. Watch for our upcoming blog featuring one of our small home designs.
When it comes to multi-family dwellings, The House Plan Shop has a broad selection of designs to choose from. Multi-family house plans range in size and can accommodate two or more families depending on the complexity and the arrangement of units composing the design. Our collection of multi-family home plans is composed of the following categories:
· Duplex Plans
· Townhouse Plans
· 3-4 Unit Plans
· 5+ Unit Plans
These multi-family home plans can offer identical units or units with different floor plans. The units can be one or more levels and range in size from simple one bedroom, ne bath designs to three or more bedrooms and baths per unit. Some of the larger designs offering four or more units can be considered apartment plans.
If you are in the market for multi-family house plans, take some time to browse our collection.
Last week we shared with you the many different architectural home plan styles we offer. Within the collections for each style, there are sub-styles available. Below is a list of architectural sub-styles represented on our website:
Arts and Crafts
Other architectural sub-styles can be found on our site as well. Take some time to browse all of our collections to see just how many house plan styles we offer.