Mar 11 2011
For many planning to build a garage, there is a growing trend with carriage house plans. These compact floor plans contribute additional functionality to the ordinary garage plan in that they offer a fully functional living area in conjunction with the garage. The finished living quarters can either be on the same floor as the garage or positioned above the garage creating an upper level. Carriage house plans cover a broad range when the living area is considered starting with a studio apartment and stretching to a two or three bedroom design. These floor plans include at least one full bath and a modest kitchen in most cases. Some designs include thoughtful extras such as an eating bar, walk-in closet or a laundry closet. So, why are carriage house plans becoming a popular choice when it comes to building a new garage? The list below addresses some of the reasons why buyers and builder make them their top choice.
- Added Value – Now only does a carriage house contribute street appeal and functionality to your existing home, but they also add value to your residence. Furthermore, it is easy to find a design to complement your home while adding usable space.
- Extra Income – Many home owners build a garage for additional parking and storage space. If you’re going through the trouble to build the garage, you might as well make money too. Home owners are opting to use garage space for personal needs while renting out the living quarters for additional income. Carriage house plans with a private entrance or exterior stairs leading to the living quarters are especially popular for this possibility.
- In-Law or Guest Suite – Everyone enjoys out-of-town guests, overnight visitors and short visits from friends and family members. Your kids may especially like long weekend visits from Grandma and Grandpa. With a carriage house plan, your guests will have the privacy and comfort of home while staying with you.
- Home Office – For those who run a home-based business, a carriage house is the ideal solution to office needs. The living area can easily serve as an office or meeting room providing a space to work or meet with clients without disturbing the main home. Furthermore, if offers peace and quiet, essential for productivity without ever leaving home.
- Flexible Space – Sometimes, as families grow and change, they need a flexible space to change with the many phases of their lives. A carriage house design with an open floor plan allows for this flexibility. Perhaps it can serve as a play area when the kids are small and transform into a recreation room or home theater when they are teenagers providing a place for them to hang out with friends. When they’ve grown and moved away, convert the space into an activity room or meeting area where you can meet with your gardening club or play cards with your friends. The kitchenette and bathroom will be handy no matter what the phase of life.
- Work Space – Hobby enthusiasts often benefit from carriage house plans. The living quarters are perfect for use as a hobby room, craft area, etc. Use the living area as a workspace for all your projects. The plus side to this option is that you won’t have to clear the dining room table before every meal. And if that’s not enough, the bedroom and bath will still be available for overnight visitors in most cases.
- Secondary Residence/Weekend Retreat – For the people who like to get away from it all, carriage house plans are an economical and practical solution. They are a great alternative to vacation house plans. Whether built on a wooded lot or a in a cozy neighborhood, carriage house plans deliver storage and comfortable living. Use the garage to store your outdoor sporting essentials from a boat or ATV to bikes or hunting gear. The living quarters will provide a comfortable place to kick back and relax after a day of fun on the lake, hiking or exploring town. Some carriage house plans are designed with multiple bedrooms offering room to bring friends, family or the kids along for the weekend.
If you are considering building a new garage, take time to think about the additional value and possibilities of choosing a carriage house plan.
No responses yet