Sep 29 2011
Building a carriage house plan is a practical home addition, and they are becoming more and more popular given the conditions of the present economy. Discover some of the top reasons Americans are building carriage houses.
- Families are outgrowing their homes and need more living space.
- Families need more parking space, especially those with up teenage drivers.
- Growing families do not have the finances to upgrade to a lager home or build a brand new home, but can afford a smaller construction project that will provide much needed living area.
- Families love their neighborhoods and don’t want to move but need extra room.
- The family handyman needs a workshop.
- Some homeowners need extra storage space for basement and attic overflow or large and bulky items.
- Homeowner’s desire a guest suite that provides all the comforts and privacy of home for frequent weekend visitors.
- Some homeowner’s need a place for aging relatives to have the privacy of their own home with the opportunity to seek immediate assistance if necessary.
- The work-at-home parent desires a home office that provides peace and quiet and the ability to visit with clients without disturbing the rest of the home.
- Home-based business owners want a private place to work and meet with clients without actually leaving home.
- Parents need additional housing for college students who require privacy and independence, but still need parental guidance from time to time.
- Homeowners want to add a craft area, hobby room, music room or exercise area, but don’t have a basement or enough room in the basement to add one.
- Grandparents are looking for a place for grandkids to stay when visiting for the holidays without having to listen to loud music or be disturbed when the grandkids come home in the wee hours of the morning.
- Parents are looking for a place for boomerang children to stay until they get back on their feet.
- Families may need living quarters for the nanny.
- Owners of large estates may wish to provide living quarters for the maid, groundskeeper, etc.
- Families need room to relax and often use the apartment for a playroom, home theater or game room for everyone to enjoy. They may even use it for an entertainment space for guests.
- Growing families are looking for an additional source of income and rent the living quarters to tenants.
- Garage apartments make nice temporary living quarters while the main home is being constructed and easily convert to a guest house when it is time to move into the main home.
- Outdoor adventurists, nature enthusiasts, hunters and fishermen may not build a garage apartment in the backyard at all, but rather near their favorite lake or in the woods using it as an alternative to a vacation home, weekend retreat or hunting and fishing cabin.
If you are interested in viewing carriage house floor plans, take some time to browse The House Plan Shop’s extensive collection of designs from North America’s top rated designers.
No responses yet