You don’t have to own a money tree or take a month off work to spruce up your home and add some curb appeal. With a little imagination and creativity and a willingness to have fun, these DIY projects will give your home an inviting look and maybe even boost your property value.
- Give the front door a fresh look. With a fresh coat of paint, your home will make a statement to the passers-by on the street. Bright red or a bold hue of blue will give classic Colonial and Cape Cod homes, as well as other styles, a striking look. Likewise, a good cleaning and a fresh coat of varnish will give natural wooden doors an elegant look.
- Remodel your porch. Adding a new porch or remodeling the one you have is like giving your home a facelift. A small porch will accentuate the entry while a full-length porch or wrap-around porch will transform the look of your home and add outdoor living space.
- Enhance your walkways. Be adventurous and try something other than traditional gray concrete walkways. There are all kinds of interesting pavers and stepping stones available at home improvement stores and landscaping centers. Build a walkway with bricks or paving stones and add a touch of enchantment and charm to your home.
- Add a little life. Dress up your walkways, porch and entry with flowers and plants. Simple touches such as hanging flower baskets or ferns on the front porch, window boxes, potted plants on the steps, or a Japanese maple along the sidewalk can make the most ordinary home stand out in any neighborhood.
- Add accent lighting. There are a variety of lighting fixtures that will dramatize your home from dusk to dawn, including solar power lighting. Add carriage lamps by the garage, decorative lighting on the covered front porch or landscape lighting along the driveway and walkways. You’ll give your home curb appeal from the dark street and increase safety.
By tackling just one or all of these curb appeal enhances, you’ll make your home stand out in the neighborhood and deliver a welcoming look to all who enter.
From the multi-material façade to the flared porch column and exposed rafter tails, this ranch home plan exudes Craftsman styling lending stunning curb appeal. Beyond the covered front porch, you’ll find a floor plan flexible enough for a growing family and suitable for retired couples who enjoy entertaining and look forward to the kids and grandkids coming home for the holidays. To the left of the entry, stylish columns define the formal dining room while maintaining openness with the great room. Together, these two spaces create an entertainment area for special occasions. The great room showcases a central fireplace flanked with windows and a vaulted ceiling which continues over the breakfast nook and kitchen adding a sense of spaciousness. Special appointments pleasing the chef include a cooking island with snack bar and built-in menu desk. And for the grill master, double doors open to the rear deck offering a great place to fire up the grill. You’ll also appreciate this outdoor living space for conversation and just plain relaxing with family and friends. The laundry room and 2-car garage complete the left side of the home. Reserved for peace and quiet, the right side of the home holds your master suite and the cozy den, which easily converts to an extra bedroom when company arrives. Fine appointments will pamper you at the end of the day in your private retreat. Notice the vaulted ceiling, private deck access and refreshing salon bath. The finished lower level provides room for the kids or grandkids to roam in the comfortable recreation room. Don’t miss access to the outdoors. The walkout basement design makes this home suitable for a sloping lot. Bedrooms 3 and 4 share a full bath. Now take a look at the bonus room. It is waiting for your creative touch and could easily be used as a sewing room, exercise area or something else you might desire. Designed for flexibility, this Craftsman house plan is sure to appeal to a broad range of home buyers.
To view more home plans like this one, check out our Craftsman home plan collection.