$20.00 OFF Shipping
For a Limited Time Only: $20.00 OFF Shipping
The House Plan Shop is offering $20.00 OFF shipping on the initial purchase of any blueprint. Simply enter or mention this promotional code when placing your order: 03H13
Custom Drawn Plans
Receive 10% OFF your custom drawn plan order and enter to win a $1000 credit toward your custom home plan order!
Please visit our blog for details!
Custom House Plans
Garage Plans Have Moved!
If you are looking for our garage plans, please check out our new site: thegarageplanshop.com.
Our office will be closed Monday, May 27, 2013 for Memorial Day. Orders placed after 11:00 AM CST on Friday, May 24, 2013 will not be processed until Tuesday, May 28, 2013. Thank you to all veterans and active members of the military who serve and protect our country.
Regular Office Hours
7:30 AM - 4:30 PM CST
Saturday & Sunday:
Modern Decorating and Contemporary Style
Everyone has an idea about how they want the rooms in their new homes to appear, but maybe you don’t know how to achieve the look you are dreaming of. If modern or contemporary style suits your decorating tastes, then you are sure to find a few ideas here. Whether you want to deck your entire home with contemporary flair or just one room such as the family room or rec room, these tips will help you add a little flavor to your new home.
In general, modern styling is much less fussy than traditional and country styles as well as others. Minimalism applies when it comes to the number of pieces of furniture and decorative items in a room, gaining an uncluttered appearance and a functional space. Using this concept as your starting point, review the following tips to begin creating a modern look in your new home.
- Use either a neutral or monochromatic color palette with different shades of the same color.
- Include small bursts of bold colors that make a statement about you and generate visual interest.
- Aim for a textured look by mixing different elements and materials such as brick, marble, stone, concrete, glass, wood, woven rugs and sheer fabrics.
- Gain an artistic look by using clean lines, details and interesting materials instead of using ornamentation and knick-knacks.
- Find a space for unexpected use of vibrant color such as a bright lampshade or a single, yet colorful piece of artwork.
- Use minimal and simple window treatments.
- Consider using an area rug or carpeting with a geometric pattern.
- Achieve a sleek look using floating shelving instead of a tall wooden bookshelf loaded with books and other treasures.
- Try using just the necessary furniture pieces in the bedroom – only a bed and a nightstand. Choose a low bed and nightstand to achieve extra contemporary flavor.
- In the breakfast nook, select a hanging lamp with a sequin or silk shade instead of the usual ceiling fan.
- Consider kitchen cabinets with crisp clean lines and simple door handles.
- Create your own end table in the family room by stacking two chrome tire rims and topping them with a piece of glass.
- Add texture to your great room with iron or stainless steel end tables and a coffee table topped with ceramic or slate tiles.
From a single room to the whole house, these modern style decorating tips are sure to give your new home a classy contemporary look.
© Copyright 2007 The HousePlanShop, LLC